Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Large trucks are crucial to the transportation industry. Most people don’t go a single day without buying or using something that spent time being transported by an 18-wheeler. Although these vehicles are integral to our transportation industry, they do pose serious risks on the roadways. As experienced personal injury lawyers, we have seen firsthand how dangerous truck accidents can be.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Because of their size and weight, trucks can cause devastating accidents. These accidents are particularly tragic considering many truck accidents could be prevented. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver Distraction – Truck drivers are just as susceptible to distractions as drivers of passenger vehicles. Distractions can range from using cell phones, changing the radio station, or eating. Regardless of the distraction, it is dangerous and should not be done while driving.
- Driver Fatigue – Drowsy driving is a major cause of truck accidents. There are federal guidelines in place that limit the maximum amount of time truck drivers are allowed to operate, but sometimes these go ignored. When a truck driver is fatigued, they suffer slower reaction times, poor decision making capability, and risk falling asleep completely.
- Speeding – The dangers of speeding are well known, but this doesn’t stop people from doing it. Trucks require a longer time to come to a complete stop than passenger vehicles, so it is especially important that truck drivers obey posted speed limits. Unfortunately, not all of them do and this leads to deadly accidents.
- Failure To Check Blind Spots – Truck drivers are trained to check their blind spots before turning or changing lanes; however, even the most experienced truck driver can forget to look before moving. It’s easy to see how not checking blind spots can cause catastrophic accidents.
- Overloaded Cargo – There are very specific weight limits for loading large trucks. Overloaded trucks are dangerous for a number of reasons. First, they can throw off a truck’s center of balance, making it more likely to rollover. Overloaded trucks can also cause a driver to lose control of the truck due to the weight of the cargo. Finally, overloaded trucks take more time to come to a complete stop.
- Poor Maintenance – Trucks spend nearly every day on the road. With so much use, these vehicles need regular maintenance to keep them running properly and safely. Companies that do not perform regular maintenance on their trucks are putting everyone on the roadways at risk.
- Driving Under The Influence – Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol is dangerous regardless of the vehicle. Truck drivers have a huge responsibility to drive safely, and driving under the influence can easily cause fatal accidents.
Know Your Rights After A Truck Accident
Truck accident victims have a long road to recovery. They will face huge physical, emotional, and financial obstacles. Victims and their families do not have to suffer alone. Those who were injured by a truck have the legal right to pursue compensation from negligent truck drivers and the companies that employ them.
Get Help With Your Truck Wreck Claim
If you were injured in truck accident, the truck accident lawyers at Dax F. Garza, P.C. can help you with your truck wreck claim. Call us today for a free consultation to discuss your case.
- Bad Faith Insurance
- Bus Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Construction Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Defective Devices
- Distracted Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Maritime and Offshore Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Oilfield Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Refinery Explosion
- Truck Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- How Do Speed Limits Affect the Safety of Passengers in Car Accidents? May 04 2021
- 5 Main Causes of Motorcycle Crashes April 13 2021
- 7 Distracted Driving Statistics All Texas Drivers Should Know March 09 2021
- What Happens in a Work Injury Case Where There Is No Workers’ Compensation Insurance? February 17 2021