Texas Leads The Nation In Distracted Driving
By now, we all know distracted driving is dangerous; however, despite increased public awareness of the issue, the rate of distracted driving is rising. At any given moment during daylight hours, approximately 660,000 people are talking or texting on a cell phone or using some type of electronic device while driving in the U.S. In fact, according to the Texas Department of Transportation, the number of distracted driving accidents statewide in 2018 was more than 95,000.
Distracted drivers are dangerous to other motorists, pedestrians, and anyone on or near a roadway. They tend to follow too closely, ignore traffic lights and stop signs, and fail to abide by posted speed limits. Distracted drivers injure and kill thousands of people every year because they refuse to obey the law.
Types of Distracted Driving
A recent national study of distracted driving found Houston and Dallas / Fort Worth drivers were on their phones the most of any cities in the United States. Although using electronic devices while driving is an extremely serious problem, it is not the only type of distraction affecting drivers.
Drivers can become distracted in many ways, including:
- Eating or drinking
- Handling children and / or pets
- Using GPS navigation
- Adjusting the radio, air conditioning, or other controls on the car
- Reading maps or other materials
- Applying makeup
- Not looking at the road and/ or “zoning out”
- Other vehicle occupants
- Using hands-free technology
- Waiting too long to use the restroom
Contact a Distracted Driving Injury Lawyer Today
The attorneys at Dax F. Garza, P.C. know that to stay safe drivers must keep their attention on the task of driving or risk a serious car accident. Drivers put others in danger when they take their eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, or attention away from driving. Our Houston, Texas personal injury attorneys take cases to trial in both state and federal court. At our firm, our commitment to helping our clients attain the best possible results has enabled us to help many families across Houston and throughout Texas. To schedule your free consultation, contact us today.
- 10 Million Airbags Affected By Latest Takata Recall January 14 2020
- FDA Unveils Strict Policy Targeting Flavored E-Cigarette Cartridges January 08 2020
- Improper Hull Maintenance to Blame for Towboat Sinking December 31 2019
- Study Links Vaping to Long-Term Risk of Respiratory Disease December 23 2019